What is Riddor?

What is RIDDOR?- Reporting of accidents and incidents

RIDDOR is the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995.

Employers, the self-employed and those in control of premises are required by law to report specified workplace incidents, such as work-related deaths, major injuries, 3-day injuries (those causing more than three day’s inability to carry out normal duties), work related diseases, and dangerous occurrences (near miss accidents).

Legal Requirement

It is a legal requirement to report incidents and ill health at work and the information gathered enables the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) and other agencies to gather the information about how and why risks arise and to investigate serious incidents.

Record Keeping

Keeping suitable and accurate records helps you to identify patterns in accidents and injuries and will help you when undertaking your risk assessments. Furthermore in the event of work related claims, your insurance company will want to see your records.
It is important that employees personal records remain confidential and are stored securely in order to comply withData Protection Act.

Companies with more than 10 employees and owners and occupiers of factories, mines, or quarries must have an accident book under social security law.
The accident book can be ordered from The Stationery Office (TSO – formerly HMSO – Her Majesty’s Stationery Office).  Other accident books are available, which can be purchased from a range of book sellers.

How do I keep RIDDOR records?

Records of any reportable injury, accident, disease or dangerous occurrence must be kept formally, and in an organised manner.

These records can be kept any way you wish for example
• Keeping records in a file
• Keeping the records on computer
• Using the Accident book
• Maintaining a written log

How long must I keep RIDDOR Records?

RIDDOR record books must be kept for a minimum of three years after the date of the last incident in the book. However good practice recommends keeping them for at least 6 years  (5 in Scotland) in order to allow time for any civil litigation to be made.

What information do I need to record?

The records must include the following:

What type of incident is reportable?

The following things must be reported under RIDDOR:

Not all incidents are reportable but all work activities are regulated by RIDDOR. Incidents must be reported within 10 days of their occurrence.

There are specific regulations affecting different sectors eg construction, catering and hospitality , schools etc. For further details please see the RIDDOR website

How do I Report an incident?

Until 12 September, RIDDOR reporting could be done by telephone, however this system has now changed to an online reporting system via the HSE website.

Only fatalities and major injuries can now be reported by phone to the HSE, from whom help is available for those who have been involved in traumatic situations. All other work related injuries which are reportable under RIDDOR can be reported using one of the new online forms.

These forms are:

All of the above forms are available from the RIDDOR website.


Information supplied to the HSE under RIDDOR is not passed onto your insurance company. If you feel it is necessary to contact your insurer, you must do so separately, in line with the requirements of your insurer, and your existing policy.